In the beginning

12.01.2004

Pre-Christmas Blues

Most of my friends just won't get this one. It was before their time.

Christmas of 1979 saw the release of one of the greatest albums ever recorded: John Denver and the Muppets - A Christmas Together. To this day, this album is a holiday staple in my mother's household. Nary a Christmas has passed without at least five hearings of this album. In fact, I'm willing to bet that every one of my siblings has a copy of it on CD (the original at Mom's house is on vinyl, with another copy on CD). I received my copy for Christmas last year, but didn't play it until today.

It has held up over time, being the absolute awesomeness that it is. Sammi and I popped my copy into the CD player to listen to while we put up our tree (photos to be posted later). That's when the trouble began. After the first go-through, I thought I had missed some of the songs- my favorite songs. So, the second time through the CD I made sure to pay attention. Sure enough, my CD, and every new release of the album, is missing three songs: "Little Saint Nick," "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas," and 'Where the River Meets the Sea." Now, had it been "The Twelve Days of Christmas" that was missing, I probably wouldn't say anything, but these three songs MADE that album. In fact, Rolph's version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is the best rendition ever caught on tape.

Needless to say, I'm a little miffed. So, if anyone out there has the complete 1979 version of the album on CD, please e-mail me.


3 Comments:

  • Wezr, Mom's CD is the complete version.
    Turtle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:21 AM  

  • Thanks, sis. I'll make sure to bring my laptop next time we're up so I can get those three songs.

    I'm still pretty bummed- I love that album. I'm sure the whole issue has to do with paying royalties to the original artists. The same thing happened to WKRP on DVD. All of the original music was removed so that royalties wouldn't have to be paid to the Stones or Zepplin or Bob Seeger.

    Wm

    By Blogger Sammi and William, at 10:21 AM  

  • Hey, no problem!
    That sucks about WKRP. That show was awesome!
    Later tater,
    Turtle

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home