In the beginning

11.15.2004

On Thanksgiving, and the current situation thereof:

For the first time in over thirty years, Thanksgiving has been cancelled. Not officially, of course, but is has been at my mother's house. Our family has reached that point- all of the children have grown, moved off, and started on a life all their own. Actually, that was true for everyone in my family but me five years ago. Now, I too have moved off and gotten married (in that order, even). So, in a whirlwind on events, all but one of my mother's children have been scheduled to appear at their respective in-laws for Thanksgiving. That one, I assume, is the eldest, although I do not have any confirmation that he is staying in-town for the day. Sammi and I are also exluded from the in-law gig: her parents are in Vietnam for the time being. Our excuse for not showing is that we live 200 miles away, and I don't have the day after Thanksgiving off from work.

"So what," you might ask. "It isn't like this is the first time in history that a family hasn't spent Thanksgiving together." That is true, but it is the first time us. It is a landmark event. It is akin to taking away a toddlers woobie (if you don't know what a woobie is, please rent and watch Mr. Mom starring Micheal Keaton). Sure, it isn't life-ending, but it is a harsh reality to deal with- tossing out thirty years of family tradition.

All is not lost. My family has arranged to meet for dessert that evening. That is a great comfort for me, knowing that my mother doesn't have to spend the day alone. It may not be the full-blown feast, but I'm sure we all understand that sometimes, it is the best you can do. And for that, I am thankful.

So, that is the downside to this year's Thanksgiving. The upside is that it is the first of many that I plan on spending together with my wife Sammi. And for that, I am most thankful.

Wm.

4 Comments:

  • Tracy and I had that same kind of experience years ago. It is strange at first, especially since my mom was a "single" mom.

    But once we moved to Texas and my mom remarried, manalive have we LOVED spending time making our own Thanksgiving meal and having a relaxing day with just us.

    Now, I think they've figured that out because this year, they're driving 660 miles to horn in on it.

    By Blogger Brent, at 4:17 PM  

  • Oh, yeah, we have it easy. Try having to tell one set of parents you can't make the dinner because you'll be at the other's house. I'm really glad our parents are good at sharing!

    Thank you wonderful hubby of mine for agreeing to go see my grandparents this Thanksgiving. I know how much you dislike traveling. I, on the other hand, grew up traveling for holidays. I was never at home for Christmas until I married Justin. It's weird not making that drive to the grandparents.

    By Blogger Justin and Michelle, at 1:35 PM  

  • William and Sammi,
    You guys always have good blogs. I enjoyed reading this one.
    Tara White

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 PM  

  • I know a lot of other couples are experiencing the same thing we are, they've married and moved away from their families and friends. Sometimes I get sad and start missing everyone, some days I just want to move back, but then I remember Genesis 2:24:

    "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

    That really puts it into perspective for me. We are a part of a holy union that God has created, we have His comfort and grace in times of trouble or sadness. We also have our spouses whom we are called to cleave to, not just in times of sorrow, but always. I am so grateful God blessed me with William, I couldn't think of anyone else I'd rather be "stuck to" .

    -Sammi

    By Blogger Sammi and William, at 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home