In the beginning

11.05.2006

That doggie in the window is how much?


Ok, we have been thinking about getting a playmate for Blackjack. Blackjack just loves being around other dogs and is so much more social with other animals. We figured we would take a look at the pet store to see what they had and then venture over to some of the shelters. I have been wanting another small dog and luck would have it that this pet store had some of my favorite candidates:

1.) Yorkie
2.) Westie
3.) Puggle
4.) Cavalier King Charles

They were all so cute, but the Cavalier King Charles really caught my eye. I asked if I could get a price on him and an associate came back with the sweetest faced puppy. We held him in one of the "visiting" cubicles and where he wiggled and licked us. I asked how much he was, even though we were really interested in a girl doggie. When the sales person replied "Two thousand" I was shocked! I can't believe how much they want to charge for a puppy. I didn't even ask about the others because I figured they would be way out of our price range. I was thinking maybe $800, which would still have been high, but $2,000?! That's insane. Needless to say, we didn't get him. We did check out the shelters, but there weren't very many small dogs. We are still looking, but I am not 100% sold on the idea of another dog yet. Blackjack is so well behaved, that even a "good" dog may seem bad to us, that and he only cost us about $100.

5 Comments:

  • go with a breeder (look in the paper) - don't buy at a pet store. do a lot of research online to find the right breed for you! take your time!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:21 AM  

  • Have you thought about a rescue group for your favorite breed. Typically they get in puppies after Christmas, sad but true, and are far cheaper than the store bought version.

    By Blogger From Carlys Eyes, at 11:28 AM  

  • Kim and Anonymous those are both great ideas that will definitely be explored more once I am actually "set" on another dog. I am still easing into the idea, for now he is going over to his "Grammy's" house to play with her dogs. Justin, Kayleigh would be so sad without Sheena ; )

    By Blogger Sammi and William, at 7:23 PM  

  • If you look online for rescue societies, some of them post pictures of their dogs and cats online. That is how we found our cats at the Siamese Resuce Alliace! Check online!

    By Blogger Stacey C, at 12:36 AM  

  • I love Cavalier King Charles..they are soooooo cute! But $2000 is crazy! Pet stores are nuts...I wonder if they ever actually sell any puppies.

    By Blogger Justin and Michelle, at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home